win.metafile [RE: [R] insert eps into microsft word]

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Tue Oct 7 02:56:04 CEST 2003

On 07-Oct-03 Gabor Borgulya wrote:
> I could not run this example:
> Error: couldn't find function "win.metafile"
>
> I am using Linux. Does this function only exist in the windows version
> of R? Why? Does it need some functions of the OS itself? Can the Linux
> version of R be invoked or compiled with a switch enabling WMF support?
>
> Eps is perfect for a paper, but I would need the same graphs in a MS
> Power Point presentation es well. I tried OpenOffice, but it could not
> import the eps image.
>
> Do I have to re-run my script on a windows PC?

If on Linux, install (if you have not already) ImageMagick.

This can convert between all sorts of formats including (if your version
supports it which mine doesn't) Windows Metafile.

If it doesn't, you have options like GIF or JPEG which Windows can import.
Admittedly they're basically bitmaps, so won't scale nicely if you have to
increase their size, but they may well do nicely for your PP presentation.
e.g.:

   convert file.eps file.jpg

NB InageMagick is a suite of several programs, one of which is 'convert'.
But, to find out what formats you might be able to convert between, see
'man ImageMagick'. And, to find out what formats you really have
available, run

  convert -list format

Hoping this helps,
Ted.