[R] Point and click

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Sun Oct 5 21:48:08 CEST 2003

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Cliff Lunneborg wrote:

> The following query raises the question: What is it that students learn
> from point and click dialogs?"

If the dialog constructs the same command line that you would type and
shows you what it is, they can learn a lot. SPSS and Stata do this (IMO
Stata does it better: SPSS tends to include unnecessary options, and
doesn't default to showing you the command line).

More importantly, the *point* of interface design is to prevent people
from having to learn things that they don't need to know.  The fact that a
comparison of two means is called a t-test and a comparison of three means
is called ANOVA would not ideally be on my list of the top fifty most
important ideas in statistics.  If the software and textbooks were better,
this fact would be of purely historical interest even to statisticians.

	-thomas