[R] foo.RData or foo.r?

Adaikalavan RAMASAMY ramasamya at gis.a-star.edu.sg
Fri Oct 3 14:16:29 CEST 2003

*.R is for the script file and is ASCII type.
*.Rdata (or sometimes *.rda) is the usual extension for R data and
contains binary information.

If you try to cat a *.Rdata file, you will end up with gibberish as it
is binary.

Try opening *.Rdata with emacs if you can. Emacs will recognise it as a
fundamental type and not as an ESS type. There might be ways to
associate Rdata files with ESS. But other people might not consider
reading your "*.Rdata" files.

--
Adaikalavan Ramasamy