[R] EMACS/ESS problems

Murad Nayal mn216 at columbia.edu
Thu Oct 2 18:55:30 CEST 2003

Hi,

"A.J. Rossini" wrote:

> 1. I've never seen this behavior, ever.  Do you get the same with C-c C-r
> (highlight region, then C-c C-r sends to the R process in Emacs).  Or,
> if you use C-c C-n to step through the lines....?

maybe my environment is not set up correctly. C-c C-r doesn't do
anything:

highlight: (either in a text buffer or *ESS*)

v = c(1,
      2,
      3)

C-c C-r
switch to *R*
Error: Object "v" not found

OR

ess-eval-region
prints in the one line buffer at the bottom:
Starting evalutions...
and hangs (I have to stop it with C-g)

now if v was defined on one line
v=c(1,2,3)
ess-eval-region returns with Finished evaluation. but the v vector is
still not defined in R

I am sure I am doing something silly. just can't figure out what?

> 2. ess-help at stat.math.ethz.ch might be a better place to send this.

thanks for the advice. I'll try that too.