[R] r editors

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Thu Oct 2 18:02:27 CEST 2003

What you want to do is startup up a second window/process
separately from R so you have R open in one window and your
editor open in another window.  When you make a change to
the source, just write it out without closing the editor,
move to the R window and then source it from R:

   source("/abc.r")

You can grab this line from the command history using up arrow
so you don't actually have to type it except the first time.

That way you can easily go back and forth between R and your
editor.  This should work with notepad or with any other
editor.

While we are on the topic of editors, the free gvim editor
available at:

   http://www.vim.org

has R syntax highlighting.  It is vi enhanced with a GUI,
more powerful command set, and cross platform availability
including Windows (which is where I used it).  There is
also an alternate user interface for it, which I have not
used, called cream, available at:

   http://cream.sourceforge.net

---

From: forkusam <forkusam at yahoo.com>

Hi ,
I am programming on a windows system and have problems
using notepad which is my main editor.Each time I try
to open the editor from the R IDE, R crashes.
So I always have to copy my codes from notepad and
paste in R to run them.
CAn someone tell me if I am doing anything wrong or is
there a better editor(freeware) which I could get.
thanks
cilver