[R] r editors

Rau, Roland Rau at demogr.mpg.de
Thu Oct 2 12:17:31 CEST 2003

Hi,

I can recommend two editors:
- Emacs/XEmacs in conjunction with the ESS-package (ESS= Emacs Speaks
Statistics). It is free software. However, it takes a while until it is
working nicely - especially if you have no experience with Emacs/XEmacs. One
of the nice features is that you can run R from within XEmacs (I guess also
within Emacs, but I am using XEmacs).
Some URLs:
http://www.gnu.org/directory/text/editors/emacs.html
http://www.xemacs.org
http://stat.ethz.ch/ESS/

- WinEdt is not freeware but I think it is a nice working environment if you
include Uwe Ligges' plug-in which can be accessed from:
http://cran.r-project.org/contrib/extra/winedt/
Best thing is probably to download the shareware version of WinEdt (from
www.winedt.com), include the R-WinEdt-plug-in and try out if this setting
suits you.

Best,
Roland