[R] Macintosh binaries; was: Rcmdr and Macintosh

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Wed Oct 1 21:45:22 CEST 2003

Did you try install.packages()?

I know this is not exactly what you're looking for, but with the
sometimes-called 'Darwin' version of R 1.7.1 for Mac OS X, installed
from source code, not a precompiled binary, and using X Windows,
   install.packages('Rcmdr')
   install.packages('car')
were successful.

>  version
          _
platform powerpc-apple-darwin6.6
arch     powerpc
os       darwin6.6
system   powerpc, darwin6.6
status
major    1
minor    7.1
year     2003
month    06
day      16
language R

I'm not up to date on whether install.packages() will work from a
precompiled binary for OS X.

I haven't tried it, but I do not expect install.packages() to work if
the Mac OS is 9.x or before, as these are not unix-based. (and
support for R pre-OS X is waning if not completely gone)

-Don