[R] fitting Markov chains

kjetil brinchmann halvorsen kjetil at entelnet.bo
Wed Oct 1 18:19:29 CEST 2003

On 1 Oct 2003 at 17:14, Tamas Papp wrote:

> I need to find a computationally simple process for the movement of
> interest rates. In this simplified model, an interest rate can have
> 3--5 possible values, and its movement is characterized by a matrix of
> transition probabilities (ie, it is a Markov process).
>
> I would like to estimate this process from a given set of data.
>
> For example, let the interest rate time series be:
>
> 7 3 8 2 5 9 6
>
> Assume that the discretized variable can take the following values:
> (3, 5, 8), then we find the nearest discrete point and give its index:
>
> 3 1 3 1 2 3 2
>
> Then estimate the transition probabilities.
>
> I have the following questions:
>
> - how should I select the discrete set of values that the variable can
> assume? Eg simply get the maximum and minimum, and divide this
> interval into, say, three pieces? Or estimate the mean, and make the
> other two values mean plus-minus one standard deviation?

?Try with simulation what is best, after yuou have solved the
estimation problem?

> - once the variable is discretized, how do I transform each data point
> to its discretized value (its index)?
>
> - the most important: how should I estimate the transition
> probabilities?
>
> References to introductory literature on estimating Markov chains like
> this would be welcome.

A good reference covering this is U. Narayan Bhat: "Elements of
Applied Stochastic Processes". For an almost ML solution, condition
on the  first observation, then take each transition i -> somewhere
as an observation from the multinomial distribution given by the i'th
row of the transition matrix, and use the multinomial estimates.

Kjetil Halvorsen

Most importantly, I need to know how robust an