[R] re: lines(lowess())

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Nov 26 21:49:42 CET 2003

Dear Peter:

      English is almost certainly one of the supreme bastard languages
on the face of the earth.  The ancient Celtic (or whatever it was) was
contaminated by Latin roughly 2,000 years ago and then by the
Anglo-Saxon invasion from Schleswig-Holstein and Saxony, just south of
modern Denmark, beginning in the fifth century AD, and then by the
Norman conquest in 1066, following which the King's English was French.
The Norman conquest was led by William the Conqueror, Guillaume le
Batard, as the French say.  I am close to 3/4 British plus 1/4 German.
A Danish friend ensures me he knows the source of my flaming red hair
(what's left of it.)  There is strength in diversity (or at least that's
what I tell myself).

      Best Wishes,
      Spencer Graves