[R] Questions on Random Forest

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Mon Nov 24 17:34:14 CET 2003

It's not clear to me what you want to do, but if I understand your problem
somewhat, I don't see how randomForest would be relevant.

Sounds like you are doing the following:

o  Read in a 512x512 image with pixel intensities.
o  You somehow fit a 3-component normal mixture model to the intensity data,
and have labels for which component the pixels belong to.
o  You want to be able to "fit" (or "predict") other images to the
3-component mixture model you have; i.e., create the "label" data given an
image.

If that's about right, I don't see why you would need some learning
algorithm such as randomForest.  You should be able to compute the
likelihood that a pixel belong to each of the 3 components in the mixture
model, based on the fitted parameters of that model.  The simplest I can
think of, ignoring the mixing proportions, is to simply compute the absolute
Z scores of a pixel with respect to the three components: z1 =
abs((x-u1)/sigma1), z2 = abs((x-u2)/sigma2), z2 = abs((x-u3)/sigma3), and
assign the pixel to the component with the largest absolute z-score.

HTH,
Andy