[R] ROracle issue with shared library and RMySQL

Coburn Watson cpwww at comcast.net
Mon Nov 24 05:56:56 CET 2003

Hello,

Someone posted this same issue back in May 2003 and hasn't yet resolved the
situation.  I hope someone can provide some additional light.

After starting R I attempt to load the ROracle library and receive the
following message:

> library(ROracle)
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library
"/usr/local/lib/R/library/ROracle/libs/ROracle.so":
  /usr/local/lib/R/library/ROracle/libs/ROracle.so: undefined symbol: sqlca
Error in library(ROracle) : .First.lib failed

My configuration:
Gentoo 1.4 - kernel 2.4.20
Oracle 9.2.0.4 (upgraded 9.2.0.2)

I compiled ROracle with the necessary Oracle libraries in the path.  My
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to:

/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib:/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/precomp/public
:/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/sqlplus/public:/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/precomp/lib

My other oracle applications run fine as far as I can tell. I can also compile
and execute the Oracle sample12 which does an include of sqlca.h and uses
dynamic SQL (under the same envrionment conditions).  Is there a way to dump
the environment which R executes under? Maybe something is getting dropped.

Any help is appreciated.

Coburn Watson
cpwww at comcast.net