[R] method names conflict.

Simon Fear Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
Fri Nov 21 16:30:32 CET 2003

There is nothing to stop you using these names, you just need
to be aware that you would be hiding the base definitions. Though
these could always be accessed using the double colon operator,
e.g.  base::subset, you might indeed get very unexpected results
if some function called subset() expecting the default but found
yours instead.

I rather like the behaviour of S-Plus here - it warns you when you
are masking something. But in R we are all grown-ups and expected
to fend for ourselves.

I frequently type a name at a blank prompt to check whether it
already exists before assigning to it (there are much more beautiful
ways, but this is quickest).

I wouldn't worry overmuch about the explosion in the number of
packages and their multiple use of same names. There is seldom
a need to load more than a couple of packages at any one time.
Besides, package writers tend to use peculiar names for internal
functions precisely to reduce the potential problem.

Simon Fear
Senior Statistician
Syne qua non Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1379 644449
Fax: +44 (0) 1379 644445
email: Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
web: http://www.synequanon.com

Number of attachments included with this message: 0

This message (and any associated files) is confidential and\...{{dropped}}