[R] Problem with Trellis graphics in nlme

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Thu Nov 20 23:02:33 CET 2003

Anthony  -

It seems just possible that the difficulty may have nothing to do
with  nlme() or any other data analysis.  The graph you describe
could result if one of the y-values was five time as large as any
of the others.  This could result from an error in reading the
data input file, a missing decimal point somewhere, etc.

In order to diagnose this, do  range(data$y)  (assuming that you
are plotting a data frame named "data" with a column named "y"),
then do

data[ data$y == max(data$y), ]

to look at just the offending row(s).

Another possibility is that somehow you are setting "ylim" in the
plotting command, but I assume you've excluded that one already.

HTH  -  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -