[R] Reading JPG files within R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Nov 20 19:51:32 CET 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Paolo Sirabella wrote:

> Dear R-listers,
> I am an enthusiastic new to R and have the following simple (. I hope .)
> problem:
> I am searching a function that allows to import jpg files as matrices (n
> x m x 3) i.e. n_pixels x m_pixels x 3_colors.
> I have seen the pixmap library, but it seems able only to read BMP
> pictures (and not all them .).

I don't think your question was answered straight away, and maybe you have
found a solution yourself. Typically, you can convert your JPG to the
format handled by the pixmap package, PPM, in a graphics utility such as
ImageMagick on Windows or Unix/Linux, and then use pixmap, which gives you
an array in its pixmapRGB form.