[R] size of graphics device

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at research.bell-labs.com
Wed Nov 19 16:54:34 CET 2003

FWIW, there is a way to have one or more scrolled graphics devices
using the RGtk (www.omegahat.org/RGtk) and gtkDevice (from CRAN)
packages.  This currently works only on Unix/Linux.

The following code creates a window with a graphics device inside a
scrolled window inside a top-level Gtk window.

library(RGtk)
library(gtkDevice)

win = gtkWindow(show = FALSE)

sw = gtkScrolledWindow()

scrolledDevice <- gtkDrawingArea()
scrolledDevice$SetUsize(5000, 5000)  # pixels

sw$AddWithViewport(scrolledDevice)

win$Add(sw)
win$SetUsize(800, 700)   # pixels
win$Show()

asGtkDevice(scrolledDevice)  # (from gtkDevice)

Now you are ready to plot.

plot(rnorm(10000))

 D.