[R] ISOdate() and strptime()

Simon Fear Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
Mon Nov 17 13:47:09 CET 2003

I think I do understand how difficult dates are. All I'm saying is
that by adopting a "standard" that is OS dependent (and hence,
almost by definition, OS varying) you make R behave differently
on different OSs - and that is NOT "making R portable across
multiple OSs".

This is a theoretical whinge. I'm not going to program it !

Please don't let me make too much of this anyway. For one thing,
although it is not guaranteed, it seems that many OSs DO in
fact behave identically. Also, it is only incomplete or erroneous
dates that might be handled differently - and in most applications,
one needs to pre-process incomplete date-times in R, rather than
leave them to any default interpretation (even if that default was
strictly fixed).

Simon Fear
Senior Statistician
Syne qua non Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1379 644449
Fax: +44 (0) 1379 644445
email: Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
web: http://www.synequanon.com

Number of attachments included with this message: 0

This message (and any associated files) is confidential and\...{{dropped}}