[R] Initial size of graphics window

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Nov 16 21:07:29 CET 2003

Hi

Remington, Richard wrote:
> Wolfgang Zocher wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> using par() a window is opened which is too large for my monitor. Is
>> there any
>> chance to change the size of this window?
>> Thanks,
>> Wolfgang

> par(din=c(?,?))
>
> Alternatively, if you don't need to use par() and are using Microsoft
> Windows, see
>
> ?win.graph
>
> Example, 4 x 4 inch window
>
> win.graph(width = 4, height = 4)

The first time you use a graphics command, R automatically opens a
graphics device (what sort of device you get is controlled by
options(device=?)).  This device will open with default size settings.
If you want to control the size of the device, you need to explicitly
open the device first and specify the size you want (as in Richard's
win.graph example).  par("din") can only be used to query the current
size of a device;  it cannot be used to set/modify the size of a device.

Paul
--
Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics