[R] Newbie Help:: Honors Chem. Project:: How to use R instead of JMP IN and GraphicalAnalysis...

Adaikalavan RAMASAMY ramasamya at gis.a-star.edu.sg
Sun Nov 16 16:31:52 CET 2003

See the "Manual" or "Publications" under http://www.r-project.org/. Books with ref [4] and [9] under publications might be of interest.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch on behalf of Aaron "Snail:Lewis" Dinkin
	Sent: Sun 11/16/2003 1:04 PM
	To: R-help at stat.math.ethz.ch; snail at nycap.rr.com
	Subject: [R] Newbie Help:: Honors Chem. Project:: How to use R instead of JMP IN and GraphicalAnalysis...

	Greetings, and Salutations to the wonderful people of the R-Project!!!

	I have a question:
	    I use JMP IN and GraphicalAnalysis for my Honors Chem. Projects. I
	would like to be pointed in the right direction: I would like to know
	how to use R to obtain the same data I would if I were to use JMP IN and
	GraphicalAnalysis.

	I would need to be able to do the following:

	    produce a graphical depiction of :
	       Oneway ANOVA
	       Standard Deviation (Lines :JMPin)
	       Means(Diamonds, Dots :JMPin)
	       Data Points
	       Standard Error (Bars/Lines :JMPin)

	I would have to be able to "Fit X by Y" and make the X-axis Proportional

	I would need to obtain the following numerical data:
	    <Summary of Fit>
	    RSquare
	    RSquare Adj
	    Root Mean Square Error
	    Mean of Response
	    Observations (or Sum Wgts)
	    <Analysis of Variance>
	    Source   DF   Sum of Squares   Mean Square   F-Ratio
	    Model
	    Error
	    C-Total
	    <Means for Oneway ANOVA>
	    Level    Number   Mean    Std-Error
	    <Means and Std Deviations>
	    Level   Number   Mean   Std-Dev   Std-Err-Mean

	I would also need to produce data that would illustrate my precision of
	measurements and my accuracy of measurements... Either Graphically or
	Numerically or both...
	My class uses %CV to illustrate precision where %CV= (sd()/mean)*100
	But any or all other methods used to calculate precision (and accuracy)
	would be fine too...

	<The above was to describe a replacement for JMP IN>

	For a replacement for GraphicalAnalysis, I would need the following
	information:

	    A graph that would have points depicting the data entered with  a
	"Fit Line"
	    a "Curve Fit" that would be set for "Linear" a Linear Equation...
	    The "Liner Fit" would be depicted on the graph, the equation of the
	line in y =    mx+b format, the m(slope) of the line, the b(Y-intercept)
	of the line, and the Correlation [coefficient] of the line...
	    I would have to be able to annotate the graph with my name, a title
	for the graph, the date, and the equation of the line...
	    I would also need to be able to print out the dataset used to create
	the graph...
	    also, I would need interpolative functionality: I would need to be
	able to figure out data while having only one known variable (ie.: we
	had to analyze the concentration of a pigment using a Spectrometer we
	had two variables: Concentration and Absorbance, several of the samples
	had "Unknown" concentrations while having known absorbances, we needed
	to find their Concentrations by interpolating the "Linear Fit For:
	Spectrometer Data" which entailed finding the spot where Absorbance
	(foo) hit the line, then we would assign the (bar) value (x axis value
	to y value) to Concentration, the Unknowns are now known!!!

	Many Thanks In Advance to the Kind peoples whom helped me find, and
	understand the information I requested!!!