[R] conf int mixed effects

Joerg Schaber Joerg.Schaber at uv.es
Thu Nov 13 17:33:16 CET 2003

OK, I am convinced that CI for random effects might not really be
meaningful.
By the way, the article I mentioned does indeed only cover the 2-way
model (one fixed effect, one random effect), I think.

But talking about CI of the variance components. How do I extract those?
In the summary function something like

<snip>
Random effects:
 Formula: ~1 | s
        (Intercept) Residual
StdDev:    2.633981 8.583093
<snip>

is displayed which are the square roots of the variance components, I
suppose. However, I did not manage to access them directly (at least the
intercept part, the residual part is accessible via the 'sigma'
parameter of the summary function).

greetings,

joerg