[R] sample size/power calc packages

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Tue Nov 11 17:39:24 CET 2003

John Fox <jfox at mcmaster.ca> writes:

> There is an extensive set of power-calculation macros in SAS, by Ralph
> O'Brien, at <http://www.bio.ri.ccf.org/power.html>. Apparently SAS
> Version 9.1 will have new procs power and glmpower, which will cover
> most of what is in these macros.

They are quite nice, and what we (well, one of the groups that I work
with) use for power calculations.

The explicit example was that I needed to design a non-inferiority
trial using a geometric mean (titration-based assay) as the endpoint.

(similarly, we do a good bit of work with selection designs with
continuous and binary endpoints.  I've got some functions, but the
interface is ugly).

It was both easy enough to do (this is R :-) as well as annoying
enough to do, that I spent part of the day trying to see what was out
there.

Yet another thing to add to the list of projects to do.

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}