[R] Installing and Loading RMySQL on OS X 2.8

Etuka Onono etuka at stams.strath.ac.uk
Tue Nov 11 17:34:30 CET 2003

Hello,

I have trouble installing and loading the RMySQL package on OS X 2.8.
The package seems to install from source fine (using R package manager
from within the R environment).  I have the following error when I try
to load the package:

Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
	unable to load shared library
"/Users/etukaonono/Library/RAqua/library/RMySQL/libs/RMySQL.so":
   dlcompat: dyld:
/Applications/StartR.app/RAqua.app/Contents/MacOS/RAqua Undefined
symbols:
_getopt_long
Error in library(pkgs[i], character.only = TRUE) :
	.First.lib failed

If I uninstall the package and try running R CMD test RMySQL, I get the
following error messages.  What should I be looking at to try and
reolve these issues?

[Etuka-Ononos-Computer:~/desktop] etukaonono% R CMD check RMySQL*
checking for working latex ... OK
* using log directory '/Users/etukaonono/Desktop/RMySQL.Rcheck'
* checking for file 'RMySQL/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
* checking if this is a source package ... OK

* Installing *source* package 'RMySQL' ...
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) cc -E
-traditional-cpp
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... (cached) yes
checking for mysql.h... (cached) no
checking for /usr/local/include/mysql/mysql.h... (cached) no
checking for /usr/include/mysql/mysql.h... (cached) yes
creating ./config.status
creating src/Makevars
** libs
make: `RMySQL.so' is up to date.
** R
** inst
** save image
[1] TRUE
[1] "dbObjectId"
[1] "format"
[1] "show"
[1] "print"
[1] "MySQLObject"
[1] "MySQLDriver"
[1] "dbUnloadDriver"
[1] "dbGetInfo"
[1] "dbListConnections"
[1] "summary"
[1] "MySQLConnection"
[1] "dbConnect"
[1] "dbConnect"
[1] "dbConnect"
[1] "dbDisconnect"
[1] "dbSendQuery"
[1] "dbGetQuery"
[1] "dbGetException"
[1] "dbGetInfo"
[1] "dbListResults"
[1] "summary"
[1] "dbListTables"
[1] "dbReadTable"
[1] "dbWriteTable"
[1] "dbExistsTable"
[1] "dbRemoveTable"
[1] "dbListFields"
[1] "dbCommit"
[1] "dbRollback"
[1] "dbCallProc"
[1] "MySQLResult"
[1] "dbClearResult"
[1] "fetch"
[1] "fetch"
[1] "dbGetInfo"
[1] "dbGetStatement"
[1] "dbListFields"
[1] "dbColumnInfo"
[1] "dbGetRowsAffected"
[1] "dbGetRowCount"
[1] "dbHasCompleted"
[1] "dbGetException"
[1] "summary"
[1] "dbDataType"
[1] "make.db.names"
[1] "SQLKeywords"
[1] "isSQLKeyword"
[1] "dbApply"
[1] "dbApply"

** help
  >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'RMySQL'
      Formats: text html latex example
   MySQL                             text    html    latex   example
   MySQLConnection-class             text    html    latex   example
   MySQLDriver-class                 text    html    latex   example
   MySQLObject-class                 text    html    latex   example
   MySQLResult-class                 text    html    latex   example
   S4R                               text    html    latex
   dbApply                           text    html    latex   example
   dbObjectId-class                  text    html    latex   example
   isIdCurrent                       text    html    latex   example
   mysqlDBApply                      text    html    latex   example
   mysqlSupport                      text    html    latex
   safe.write                        text    html    latex   example
* DONE (RMySQL)

* checking package directory ... OK
* checking for portable file names ... OK
* checking for sufficient/correct file permissions ... OK
* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
* checking package dependencies ... OK
* checking index information ... OK
* checking package subdirectories ... OK
* checking R files for syntax errors ... OK
* checking R files for library.dynam ... OK
* checking S3 generic/method consistency ... WARNING
Error in .tryQuietly({ : Error in library(package, lib.loc = lib.loc,
character.only = TRUE, verbose = FALSE) :
         .First.lib failed
Execution halted
* checking for replacement functions with final arg not named 'value'
... WARNING
Error in .tryQuietly({ : Error in library(package, lib.loc = lib.loc,
character.only = TRUE, verbose = FALSE) :
         .First.lib failed
Execution halted
* checking Rd files ... OK
* checking for missing documentation entries ... ERROR
Error in .tryQuietly({ : Error in library(package, lib.loc = lib.loc,
character.only = TRUE, verbose = FALSE) :

Etuka Onono
Statistics and Modelling Science
Strathclyde University