[R] [Fwd: Sun Solaris 8 compile problem.]

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Nov 8 02:39:01 CET 2003

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 06:19:26PM -0700, Jack Matthews wrote:
> I am new to the list was wondering if anyone can help me find the reason
> and remedy for compiling R on an ultrasparc 60 solaris 8 with gcc 3.2.2
> in 64 bit mode? Fails in checking for a fortran library.....

RTFM, in this case the R-admin manual, and I cite from the .texi source:

   @node Solaris, HP-UX, MacOS X, Platform notes
   @subsection Solaris on Sparc
   @cindex Solaris
   [...]
   @command{gcc} 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 generate incorrect code on 32-bit Solaris
   builds with optimization, but versions 3.1, 3.2, 3.2.3  and 3.3 work
   correctly.  At least files @file{src/main/engine.c},
   @file{src/main/graphics.c} and @file{src/modules/devX11.c} are affected.

Hth, Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx