[R] R humour: Early versions

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Nov 7 15:37:17 CET 2003

Marc Schwartz <MSchwartz at medanalytics.com> writes:

> On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 07:54, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> > I didn't realise version 1 of the R programming language was quite so old:
> >
> > http://www.jbum.com/idt/r.html
> >
> > Does anyone still have hardware that runs it?
> >
> > http://www.jbum.com/idt/hyperboreans.html
> >
> > Baz
>

> I think that you just answered Doug Bates' question about what would be
> harder to read than the nlme source code...
>
> Not to mention, that you have located a seminal example of "obfuscated
> R".

It may be of interest that the R-like rune (raido) has been given the
following semi-magical/representative interpretation:

Raido: (journey). New ventures, new beginnings, as well as the mundane
taking a trip somewhere. It may also point out the right (or best)
path among a selection of alternates. There may well be a sense of
directed change. (http://members.aol.com/JehanaS/futhark/)