[R] R for various ports of linux

Martyn Plummer plummer at iarc.fr
Thu Nov 6 12:33:14 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 22:07, Nathan Leon Pace, MD, MStat wrote:
> To all:
>
> I currently download the R binaries for Redhat 7.x Linux.
>
> There is considerable turmoil in the vendors of Linux. Redhat
> apparently is changing it's business model to paid versions.
>
> This might motivate my department to use a different vendor of Linux.
>
> Is there anything predictable about which vendors/versions of Linux
> will have R binaries in the future?

I hadn't really given it much thought. I suppose I shall switch to
creating RPMS for Fedora, since there won't be a Red Hat Linux 10. Don't
hold your breath for RPMS for the Enterprise Version of Red Hat unless
we (IARC) can negotiate a sweet licensing deal.

I don't think Red Hat are abandoning poor acadamic users. They just
aren't making money out of their boxed set, so they're replacing it with
Fedora.

Martyn