[R] How to represent pure linefeeds chr(10) under R for Windows

Jens Oehlschlägel joehl at gmx.de
Wed Nov 5 18:05:34 CET 2003

Brian, Simon,

Thanks for your quick answers. Unfortunately neither \n nor \012 works.
Under R for Windows (tried on 1.8.0 and 1.5.1) they are automatically converted
to chr(13)+chr(10).

I need only chr(10) within my string column, and chr(13)+chr(10) at line
ends of the csv file. If it can't be solved within R, I could workaround by
substituting all chr(13)+chr(10) into chr(10) after writing the file using a
system() call. However, writing the files twice would be ugly and performance
reducing (I am writing an interface).

Any idea?

Best regards

Jens Oehlschlägel