[R] Visualising Vectors

Laura Quinn laura at env.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Nov 3 15:15:03 CET 2003

I sent a mail last week asking for some advise in relation to displaying
wind vectors on a contour map of a region. Whilst I have had some useful
feedback relating to the second part of this question (namely how to
animate a time series of still frames), I haven't recieved any advise on
how I might create the still images of the spatially distributed wind
vector data at any given time point.

Firstly, is there a way in which I can input orographical information
(x,y,z co ords) into R to create a map, secondly, is there a way in which
i can superimpose a visual wind vector (i.e. arrow of certain length and
certain orientation) onto such a map?

thanks in advance,
Laura