[R] SWinRegistry & R 1.8.0

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sun Nov 2 18:47:49 CET 2003

David Pleydell wrote:

> Hi
> I have R 1.6.2 and use WinEdt as a text editor.  I
> have just upgraded to R 1.8.0 but can't set up the
> SWinRegistry program.  Using the recommended "Install
> packages from local zip files" menu option I get
>

> install.packages("C:/R/SWinRegistry_0.3-2_binary.zip",
> .libPaths()[1], CRAN = NULL)
> Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> cannot open file
> `SWinRegistry_0.3-2_binary/DESCRIPTION'
>
> However the same zip file works fine with the old R
> 1.6.2...
>

> install.packages("C:/R/SWinRegistry_0.3-2_binary.zip",
> .libPaths()[1], CRAN = NULL)
> updating HTML package descriptions
>
> Is this a bug?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Dave

There is a convention for names of binary packages, and currently
SWinRegistry does not fullfill this convention (the maintainer of
SWinRegistry promised to fix that for all Omegahat binaries). Therefore
the ReadMe.txt for the package RWinEdt, which you are obviously using,
tells you:

   At the time of writing "SWinRegistry_0.3-2_binary.zip" is the
   current binary version, which has to be renamed to, e.g.,
   "SWinRegistry_0.3-2.zip", because the second underscore is
   not allowed for package installation.

Please read the ReadMe completely.

Uwe Ligges