[R] Time for Usenet R Group?

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Fri May 30 17:22:20 CEST 2003

"Mike Prager" <Mike.Prager at noaa.gov> writes:

> I am finding that the flood of R email messages is becoming difficult
> to deal with, even using filters, etc., in my email client.  Would we
> be better served by establishing a Usenet newsgroup?  Would that be
> practical or impractical?  Would it create problems for the
> maintainers of R?

everything is possible -- but you should ask whether the people you'd
like to be on the newsgroup would follow, and perhaps if it isn't just
a matter of modifying email client/usage of email work habits.

For me, it's mostly a matter of permanently sorting/scoring on a few
key people (r-core and 7 others) and temporarily sorting/scoring on
interesting threads/topics, and that seems to take care of 95% of the
information I'm looking for (i.e. orders the mail to read, when I
want/need/etc to read), the rest ending up in an
end-of-the-day/week/month mailbox/folder to peruse later.  But your
needs might be different.

best,
-tony

A.J. Rossini  /  rossini at u.washington.edu  /  rossini at scharp.org
Biomedical/Health Informatics and Biostatistics, University of Washington.
Biostatistics, HVTN/SCHARP, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.
FHCRC: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments ... {{dropped}}