[R] The Wrong Choice: Locked in by license restrictions

Murray Jorgensen maj at stats.waikato.ac.nz
Wed May 28 01:15:36 CEST 2003

A colleague pointed me to this article advocating R as a Matlab
substitute. Here is the link (deliberately on two lines:

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/
originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci902076,00.html

I'm not a Matlab user, but I understand that it provides a nice front
end to the Linpack collection of numerical linear algebra routines. My
friend and I wonder if R can really compete in that league. Does anyone
know if there are published benchmark comparisons between R and other
packages like Matlab with the focus on numerical stability rather than
speed?

Cheers,

Murray

--
Dr Murray Jorgensen      http://www.stats.waikato.ac.nz/Staff/maj.html
Department of Statistics, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand