[R] help output paged in separate window

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Sat May 24 21:30:21 CEST 2003

Hi folks,

I use R in X windows on Linux.

Normally, I use 'less' as pager, which is fine for scanning through
'help' (or '?') output in the R window itself; the help session is
terminated by typing "q", as usual for 'less', and the R window then
reverts to the R command line interface.

Often, I would like to have the output from 'help' pop up in a separate
window so that I can continue to work in the R window while reading the
help. The "help" window could then be closed when interest in this
particular help dwindles.

What can I set $PAGER to, to achieve this? Or should it be done in a
different way (e.g. using some option to 'help' or to 'file.show')?

(I don't want to use 'help.start' because of the overhead of using
an HTML browser)

With thanks, and best wishes,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972