[R] Tcltk question for R people

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed May 21 18:35:20 CEST 2003

"Jason Fisher" <stormplot at hotmail.com> writes:

> Hello...
>
> Curious to know whether the TK extensions “Tktable” and
> “Iwidgets” will be included in future versions of R (full
> installation).  These are key components of GUI construction and would
> be very useful in my current R-tcltk endeavors.  I realize that I
> could just install a version of ActiveTcl, which includes the
> extensions; however, my goal is to eventually distribute my work
> keeping installation procedures at a minimum.
>
> I do have one question for individuals working with R and Tcl/Tk on
> Windows XP.  Has anyone experienced corrupted GUI’s (lost widgets)
> after invoking a tkpack command (e.g. missing buttons).  My web
> searches on the subject leave me wondering if it’s a Windo$e problem.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you,
> Jason
>
> PS: Inclusion of the Tcl/Tk within the R 1.7.0 installation has been
> greatly appreciated.

This stuff is, well, "under consideration". I've been wanting to have
the Tktable package in there too (for one thing, it could give us an
alternative data editor in a page or two of code). However, I'm not
sure how far we want to follow the route of adding external libraries
to the R sources, so it might be better to add them in the form of R
packages.

Volunteers into figuring out how to do this in the  Windows DLL world
are welcome...