[R] How to split a dataframe into smaller constituent dataframes

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon May 19 00:27:41 CEST 2003

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 10:11:11PM +0000, Neil Osborne wrote:
> I have read a large dataset into a dataframe using RODBC, the rows of data
> in the dataframe are (integer) timestamped and I would like to divide the
> original dataframe into n smaller dataframes where dataframe 1 contains all
> rows that had timestamps falling in the period 0-x1 minutes, dataframe 2
> contains all rows that had timestamps falling between x1+1 and x2, etc..
> Does anyone know how to do this?

I would convert all your dates to DateTimeClass (i.e. POSIXct or POSIXlt),
e.g. using strptime, and then loop over them doing your subsetting at each
grid step you specify.  R really has excellent facilities to compute on, or
compare, dates up to Unix timestamp precision.

Alternatively, if the data lives in a DBMS you could simply tailor your
queries to the desired grid sizes and retrieve individual chunks and store
those.

Hth, Dirk

--
Don't drink and derive. Alcohol and analysis don't mix.