[R] how to construct tree under R

Marc Feldesman feldesmanm at pdx.edu
Sat May 17 19:52:23 CEST 2003

On Sat, 17 May 2003 19:19:49 +0200, an incredible array of electrons
randomly cascading around the Universe collided and turned into words
spewed forth by ANA KOZOMARA:

ANA> Hello.
ANA> I have a hudge problem, don't know how to deal with it...
ANA> I'm supposed to implement a tree structure in R, without using
ANA> rpart library...
ANA> I don't have any clue about appropriate approach...
ANA> Anyway, I can't use pointers under R...so how to to it?
ANA> lists, vectors...
ANA> Anyway, does anybody knows how the regression tree in rpart was
ANA> implemented...
ANA> Someone please help!

You might look at the source code, which is available with the
library.  You could also look at the technical report available on
CRAN (package sources), which explains the way the program works.  If
all else fails, you could also look at Breiman et al, "Classification
and Regression Trees" which is the canonical source for this.

HTH