[R] how to include 'NA's in xtabs?

kjetil brinchmann halvorsen kjetil at entelnet.bo
Thu May 15 21:58:18 CEST 2003

On 15 May 2003 at 22:34, Kosenkov Kirill wrote:

The problem with xtabs discussed in this thread is the same problem
as was discussed for table in R1.6.2 time. The NEWS file for R1.7.0
has:

 o	table() now allows exclude= with factor arguments (requested by
	Michael Friendly).

but (rw1070, windows XP):

> test <- c(1,2,3,1,2,3,NA,NA,1,2,3)
> test
 [1]  1  2  3  1  2  3 NA NA  1  2  3
> table(test)
test
1 2 3
3 3 3
> table(test, exclude=NULL)
test
   1    2    3 <NA>
   3    3    3    2
> test <- factor(test)
> table(test)
test
1 2 3
3 3 3
> table(test, exclude=NULL)
test
1 2 3
3 3 3

so the announced fix does'nt seem to work?

I thought the same fix could be applied to xtabs, but first rw1070
must live up to its NEWS file.

Kjetil Halvorsen