[R] assessing the fit of a LME model

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Tue May 13 18:19:23 CEST 2003

Federico  -

I'm coming to this from outside the field, and I hope Doug Bates
will reply ... but I would question the use of normal theory linear
models with counted data.  Why not logistic regression (binomial)
or log-linear models (Poisson) ?

You see, coming to the question from outside, I'm still back at
the point of needing to answer *that* question for myself, before
I can think about the random-effects aspects of the problem.

I don't yet understand "vials within cages".  Are the vials open
or closed ?  What determines the total number per vial ?  (Thus,
is a binomial or a Poisson error model appropriate ?)  And, what
is "temperature" in the Bartlett test, and why does it make sense
to *cross* "cage" with "temperature" ?  Was every cage in fact
tested at multiple temperatures ?  (I would guess not, but I don't
fully understand the experimental setup.)

So ... in the end ... I offer you many questions and *zero* answers !

-  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -