[R] FW: S+ Script Files for R???

Pfaff, Bernhard Bernhard.Pfaff at drkw.com
Mon May 12 14:39:28 CEST 2003

Douglas Beare wrote:

>>Hi List,
>>I'm trying to get a bunch of hardened S+ users to switch to R.  They won't
>>move because they have got addicted to the S+ (.ssc)
>>scripting files, available for MS windows versions.  In these files you
>>highlight the code you want to execute by mouse, press an arrow in the
>>menu, and it fires it off to the S+ compiler directly.  Is such a facility
>>actually available for Linux/Windows and Unix versions of R? Is there
>>something similar out there?
>>Regards,
>>Doug Beare

Not directly within R, but you can set up an editor to allow this kind
of features.
The recommended one is Emacs with ESS, but there are others as well
(with different amounts of support).
See http://cran.r-project.org/other-software.html and
http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/.

Uwe Ligges

In case you should decide using Emacs with ESS you can include the following
lines in your ".emacs" startup-file:

(global-set-key [f1] 'ess-eval-line)
(global-set-key [f2] 'ess-eval-region)

with this, you can execute your code line- or region-wise by hitting the f1
or f2 key, respectively; making things even more convenient, rather than
remembering and executing: C-c C-j or C-c M-r or mouse-clicking.

HTH
Bernhard