[R] Name spaces in R 1.7.0

Berwin Turlach berwin at maths.uwa.edu.au
Mon May 12 13:35:48 CEST 2003

Dear all,

a colleague of mine has some code that calls "linbin2D" in package
"KernSmooth" directly.  That code is broken under R 1.7.0 since
"KernSmooth" does not export "linbin2D" from its namespace.  Via
trial and error we found to possible solutions:

1) Edit the file NAMESPACE in the directory where KernSmooth is
   installed such that linbin2D is exported too.

2) Add something like
       linbin2D <- get("linbin2D", envir=environment(bkde2D))
   to the code.

We don't like 1) since it messes around with R installation.  And 2)
is not nice in case that some students what to run the code under R
1.6.x .

We wonder whether there is another way of accessing non-exported
objects from a package?

Cheers,

        Berwin