[R] X axis series labels?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun May 11 23:53:50 CEST 2003

On Sun, 11 May 2003, Welch, Ivo wrote:

> I am about to become a new user of R, so apologies for a total beginner
> question.
>
> I need to graph some time-series.  I would like to name the X-Axis with
> another series, say T.  For example, the T series may have observations
> like "2003-12", which I would like to be the label.  can this be easily
> done?

That's what the axis() function does: use xaxt="n" to suppress the normal
x axis.

> as a new user: it would be nice if the FAQ listed the add-on packages in
> logical order, rather than just alphabetical.

What logic did you have in mind to order them?  It's not at all clear to
the initiates how to do this, but you can search the FAQ list (or the CRAN
list) using e.g. your browser's search mechanisms.

It has more than one: http://cran.r-project.org/search.html

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk