[R] again troubles with lattice

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 8 11:11:25 CEST 2003

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Wladimir Eremeev wrote:

> Dear r-help community,
>
>   Thank you for your previous answers!
>
>   Now I have strange behaviour of the lattice library funcitons.
>   They do not draw graphics in the file when called from the script.
>   I created the script file, called, for example, "a.R", containing
>   the following

They do when called from a script running directly.  It's calling the
script file from source() that gives the problem.

You haven't actually asked for anything to be plotted!  xyplot returns a
plottable object, which when *printed* is plotted.  Auto-printing works at
the top level in R, but not inside source.  You need to wrap your lattice
calls in print().

[...]

> I execute command source("a.R") it works and after its running I've
> got file a.png in the working directory. But it contains only white
> background field and no graphs.
>
> If I try copy commands of the script in clipboard and paste them to
> the R console the graphs appear in the file.

And that is `running the script'.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk