[R] Comparing bivariate kernel density estimates

Timothy S. Hare haret at grinnell.edu
Mon May 5 17:56:46 CEST 2003

Dear R-Users,

Using R, is there method for comparing two sets of kernel density surfaces?
I need to implement either a goodness-of-fit test such as
sm.density.compare [sm], but for bivariate kernel density surfaces, or find
a means for calculating matrix comparison statistics for asymmetrical matrices.

Background:
I am investigating the territorial behavior of baboons in a closed habitat.
My data are composed of point spatial coordinates marked with the length of
occupation in seconds for each baboon observed (N=17). I want to estimate
the spatial areas of habitual use and compare between individuals to assess
wether the estimated territories are derived from the same distribution or
not. I initially thought to use cross-K point pattern analysis, but I could
not find a way to use the continuous variable attached to each data point.
I also thought to use the method for comparing kernel density estimates
describe by Fotheringham, Brunsdon and Charlton in "Quantitative Geography:
Perspectives on Spatial Analysis", but I cannot find a way to implement the
calculation of the variance for the comparison of the pairs of matrices.

I appreciate any help in this matter.

Thank You,
Timothy

Timothy S. Hare
Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow and Lecturer
Anthropology Department
Grinnell College                                (641) 269-3966
204 Goodnow Hall                                fax (641) 269-4330
Grinnell, IA 50112-1690                 haret at grinnell.edu

"If a geographer is not fascinated by maps to the extent of always needing
to be surrounded by them, then that is a clue that he or she [or zie] has
chosen the wrong profession." -- Carl Sauer