[R] can't plot ylab in graph

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat May 3 09:12:42 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> I am sure I am missing something obvious as usual, but in the following
> graph I can't plot ylab.
>
> Ignoring unimportant details, I am plotting one instance of truehist() and
> one instance of curve() on the same graph. Truehist() won't let me pass
> the ylab argument. It gives me the error
>
> Error in plot.default(xlim, c(0, ymax), type = "n", xlab = xlab, ylab =
> "",  : formal argument "ylab" matched by multiple actual arguments
>
> I don't understand the error. I looked at the help page for truehist().
> The xlab argument was present but the ylab argument was missing.

Right, so why do you think it accepts `ylab'?  There seems to be a crop of
people asking questions or sending bug reports who think `xlab' and `ylab'
are graphical parameters, but that are actually arguments to title() which
plot.default passes through.

What you can do is call title(), as in

library(MASS)
truehist(rnorm(100))