[R-gui] Re: [R] Feedback about SciViews?

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Fri May 2 16:19:43 CEST 2003

At 11:02 AM +0100 5/1/03, Luke Whitaker wrote:
>On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, A.J. Rossini wrote:
>
>>  "Liaw, Andy" <andy_liaw at merck.com> writes:
>>
>>  >> The GUI itself (i.e., how it operated, what menus were where, etc.)
>>  >> was fine, but it was completely useless for anyone sitting at a
>>  >> remote host, due to dreadful image quality and poor performance when
>>  >> displaying anywhere other than on the console of the machine on which
>>  >> SPlus was actually running.
>>  >
>>  > AFAIK the problem is the X server: it gives you a black window if the X
>>  > display is 16-bit.  If you can live with 8-bit display, the Java GUI will
>>  > work.  It's that way on all Unix (X?) platform.
>>
>>  I thought Java on Linux would do 8 and 24, but not 16?  (or something
>>  truly weird like that).
>>
>>  But that doesn't address performance issues, which still can be pretty
>>  bad.
>
>It seems the problem here is limited to running R remotely. Given
>the power of cheap consumer desktop machines these days, this seems
>to me less of an issue than it used to be. Expensive commercial
>software probably gets run remotely more than it needs to because
>of licensing issues, which obviously don't apply to R.

Not only licensing issues, but platform issues. SPlus doesn't run on
the platform that most of us here in my department have on our
desktops.

That's not the case with R, thank goodness. But there are other
factors, such as administration and maintenance. With each new
version of R comes the job of installing it. Will that be 10
installations or one? Running remotely on a server it's just one, and
that is a considerable time savings.

-Don