[R] Scripting with an external editor

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Mar 31 22:57:56 CEST 2003

"Prof. Brian Ripley" <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> I think the `trick' is how text for parsing is sent to R, and the answer
> is via the command line, using C redirection (and ptys under Unix).
> I've already suggested that approach a week ago.

Yes. As far as I know, ESS sits on top of the "comint" layer, which is
a body of code that is designed to run any stdio program from within
emacs. So you don't just have to clone ESS, but also whatever comint
does on Windows (which is likely nontrivial).

> This thread is getting very bitty, and I am still waiting for a clear
> statement of what it is that Jim is trying to achieve.  It sounds as if
> using redirection (and the -ess flag under Windows) is what is required.

-- or setReader(), except that that doesn't exist in R (yet?). You
*might* be able to fake something like that using fileevents in Tcl,
but don't come to me if you can't get it to work...