[R] "font problems in X11 with linux R"

Fredrik Lundgren fredrik.lundgren at norrkoping.mail.telia.com
Mon Mar 31 09:46:26 CEST 2003

Hello,

I'm inexperienced with linux, X11 and R. A font problem have surfaced. When I
use pairs in John Fox's car library e.g.:

> pairs(cbind(prestige, income, education, women))
Error in text.default(x, y, txt, cex = cex, font = font) :
        X11 font at size 16 could not be loaded
In addition: Warning message:
freeing previous text buffer in GText

Evidently there is some problem with my fonts or their loading in X11.

However, I can add text to a plot up to size 24 but not larger -

"Warning message:
X11 used font size 24 when 30 was requested"

In addition - when i use help.start() within R and choses
 "Search Engine & Keywords" a window pops up with the following text
in the windowbar: "Netscape:subprocess diagnostics(stdout/stderr)" and the
following message: "Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-helvetica-*-*-*-*-*-*-12-*-*-*-iso8859-1"to type FontsStruct" but
otherwise help.start with Netscape works OK.

No other problems with fonts have surfaced - for example I can use font size
16 in StarOffice 6.0 and Xemacs 21.4 without problems. I realize that this is
more a Linux or X11 than a R question but actually I don't know where to
turn.
I use SuSE linux 8.1, R 1.62, and Netscape 4.8.
How do I fix this problem?

Sincerely Fredrik Lundgren