[R] Multinomial logistic regression under R and Stata

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 27 11:58:40 CET 2003

Perhaps you should ask Stata how it finds its estimates, and why it
disagrees with R?

R uses the observed information matrix for the standard errors.  It is
also possible to use the expected (Fisher) information matrix.  Where they
differ, the observed one is generally regarded as a better choice,
especially when as here the curvature is measured over a reasonably-sized
neighbourhood.

Intercepts often depend on coding, and you should cross-check the coding.
More generally, such differences can be caused by the Hauck-Donner effect
and lack of convergence, so it is almost always worth playing with the
convergence criteria.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk