[R] X11 connection error in web cgi mode only

Pikounis, Bill v_bill_pikounis at merck.com
Mon Mar 17 16:33:43 CET 2003

Adai,
I think this issue or something very related to it has come up before in
this list, so you may wish to search the R-help mail archives.   From what
you say, my guess on the reason for the error is permissions related, as the
web server (Apache?) executing your CGI does not implictly have access to an
X resource, which jpeg needs to work.

I have had some luck using "Xvfb" under Linux for CGI scripts with R to
generate PNG format data graphs. But this is a work-in-progress, as I have
not solved the permissions problem with a secure method yet.  Plus there is
the complication of cleanly accessing an X display in a multi-user system.

You can learn much about Xvfb via google.

Hope that helps,
Bill
Bill Pikounis, Ph.D.

Biometrics Research Department