[R] boxplots with multiple numerical variables

Rishabh Gupta rg117 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 14 23:09:58 CET 2003

Hi all,
   I have a question regarding the boxplot function. The data I am working on has 1 grouping
variable (G) and it has many numerical variables (V1, V2, V3, V4, Vx, etc). What I would like to
do is create a boxplot where the Y-axis represents the numerical values of variable V1...Vx (all
the variables have the same range). The X-axis needs to represent the G-V combination. So suppose
the possible values for G are a, b and c, Then along the x-axis there would be a boxplot for each
of the combinations:

  V1Ga, V1Gb, V1Gc, V2Ga, V2Gb, V2Gc, V3Ga, V3Gb, V3Gc,.....VxGa, VxGb, VxGc, etc
ie
  all values of V1 where the G values are a, all values of V1 where the G values are b, etc
In addition, if possible, it would be nice if each G value would have a a different colour on the
plot so that they could be seen more clearly.

I'm not sure whether such a function already exists within R or whether it would have to be
written. Either way, I would appreciate it very much if somebody could help and give me some
advice as to how I can achieve this.

Many Thanks

Rishabh