[R] Filling graphic objects

p.b.pynsent p.b.pynsent at bham.ac.uk
Wed Mar 12 16:25:40 CET 2003

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 12:13  pm, ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, p.b.pynsent wrote:
>
>> I have used polygon() to mark the confidence limits of a survival
>> curve.
>> In another project, I have used the col parameter to fill my boxplots.
>>
>> The poly() description refers to  filling but actually produces
>
> Did you mean polygon()?

Yes, I  apologise

>> hatching (i.e. lines ).
>> boxplot() does truly fill the boxes with a colour or shades of grey
>> (e.g. col="red").
>>
>> My novices perception of R graphics is:
>> If you can hatch it, you cannot fill it.
>> If you can fill it you cannot hatch it.
>>
>> Is this correct or is there  a way of hatching my boxplots and filling
>> my polygons?
>
> You can fill polygons or rectangles (rect()) by giving `col' and not
> giving `density'.

Thank you, this is not evident from the documentation. My confidence
limits now look much better.

> You cannot AFAICS hatch boxplots using the existing code: they are
> conventionally not filled or filled in light grey.

The problem is distinguishing more than one group  on a single boxplot,
shades of grey are not suitable for standard figures in publications.
Anyway thank you again.

Paul

Dr. P. B. Pynsent,
Research and Teaching Centre,