[R] changing pen mode [or adjusting for overlapping points?]

Marc Schwartz mschwartz at medanalytics.com
Tue Mar 11 21:58:21 CET 2003

I may be mis-understanding what you are trying to do, but if you are
using plot() to generate a scatter plot (as opposed to a density plot)
and there are actual overlapping points between the two sets, you
could use jitter() to introduce some random noise into the plotted
points.

Something like this might work, presuming that (x1, y1) and (x2, y2)
are your two sets of points:

> plot(x1, y1, pch = 16, col = "red")
> points(jitter(x2), jitter(y2), pch = 16, col = "blue")

The first plot() draws the initial set of data and points() adds the
second set of data to the same plot, but in a different color with
some random noise added to the points.

If that is not what you need, let us know.

Marc Schwartz