[R] implementing ecological models in R

Thomas Petzoldt petzoldt at rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
Tue Mar 4 18:45:28 CET 2003

Hi all,

we found, that R is not only *the* superior data analysis, graphics and
statistics package, but it is also a general tool for implementing,
running and teaching ecological models. Last week we held our second
course "Modelling in Limnology" using R. Some material (code and docs)
was produced for this purpose and may be interesting to someone else, so
I put the tutorial "Konstruktion ökologischer Modelle mit der Open
Source Software R" on my homepage.

The tutorial covers
* a short introduction,
* some simple regression models,
* the modelling of populations with ODEs (thanks to Woodrow Sezter!),
* some basic lake modelling stuff and
* some basic individual-based techniques (population dynamics, movement,
Conway's game of life, an individual-based predator-prey model).

All examples are given in full source code. The tutorial is in German
language, but possibly someone may be interested to work together with
me on an English version in the future. It is work in progress, so
please excuse typos and mistakes (some PDF errors are already known).
On the other hand, I would be very glad about remarks and constructive
criticism.

The tutorial can be found on

http://www.tu-dresden.de/fghhihb/petzoldt/zeugs.html

together with an absolutely preliminary version of an accompanying
library (the name simecol may be changed soon).

Thank you for your feedback!

Many thanks to all the people who are making the R-project possible!

Thomas

--
Thomas Petzoldt                    Tel. +49-351-463 3 4954
Dresden University of Technology   Fax  +49-351-463 3 7108
Institute for Hydrobiology         petzoldt at rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
01062 Dresden

http://www.tu-dresden.de/fghhihb/petzoldt/